Monday, August 13, 2012

Mudathlon



Happy Monday!


I am happy about it because I had such a good time this weekend and also am not nearly as sore as I thought I would be after the Mudathlon.

If you recall Friday's post, the Mudathlon was the event for the weekend with the entire family.  If you are on Facebook, you have seen some of these photos, but not all of them.



We had to walk about a mile to the farm.  Had we paid attention to the website and its updates that wouldn't have happened.  However, it gave us a chance to shake the anticipation off a little and warmed up our legs a bit as well.

After getting our packets and signing waivers we had to do one very important thing (besides going to the bathroom).  We had to tape our shoes on.


Kevin was kind enough to give me a hand since mine was getting all caught-up in the tape.  This was not the first time that Kevin stepped in and "saved"me.  Anyway - we were good to go.   :D


(Why am I always locking my knees?)

We finished up with 7 minutes to go before the start.  Perfect timing if you ask me.  I hate standing around waiting to run.  Makes me crazy and anxious.  They were doing some fun stuff with the racers before the start so that helped.  We also made our own fun.

  So here is the before....


Here is what caught of the race...kind of hard to take pictures with muddy hands. There were 40 total obstacles.  No way could we take pictures at all of them.









Julia thought she was very funny dousing me with a cup of water.  No problem - she was paid back 10 fold when Kevin nudged her into a mud pit.
By the time we got to that part of the race, cleanliness was a word long forgotten.


...and, if you are wondering, Yes.  It is the only way down.  I will admit that I never met a rope knot I didn't like!  Some of the ropes in and out of the ravines had no knots and some did.  You got to pick.  They helped a whole lot!

Do you think Jim is sorry it's over?  Look at Kevin's hair!  He had some fun, I think. Oh!  And see that slather of mud on the back of his neck?  That is a finishing gift from Julia.  She had a lot of fun in the mud!



The "After" shot.  We were very slimy and not quite sure what to do next but we just had to smile that we had done the Mudathlon together!  BTW.... Our faces are clean because they gave us wet towels to wipe them with at the end of the race.  I even poured part of my water from the bottle over mine just to clean it some more.

We got to wash off in a little swimming hole past the finish line. 
The brochure said there would be showers. 
They need to change the brochure.
That was one of the reasons I wanted to do this race.
Lesson learned, but it didn't matter.
I am a Mudathlete now.
If/when we do this again, I will know what to prepare for and will work for a better time.


This part made all of us feel SO much better!


What a difference a shower can make!

SO there's the adventure in a nutshell.  We had a great time, made some great memories and learned a little bit about ourselves along the way.
It WAS a mucking good time.  It was!




No comments:

Post a Comment