Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Art Prize Day 2 Part 2

 
 
 
More Art Prize.
I must admit that my ambitions were lofty in thinking that blogging about this would be simple.  If you could only see the pictures I have LEFT OUT!!  At this point I am so tired of Art Prize I can barely sit here.  But I will finish this.  And, if you and I are both lucky, we will finsh Day 3 in here too.
 
Ok, we left off leaving the GRAM and went outward and onward to this.

 
Below, I am not sure if it's a bear or a wolf, but it was a little intimidating.


Below - Dog?  Cat? Lamb?
 

 
These were along the river.  We had to pass them to get up close to these....
 

 
Their tails would actually move back and forth with the current.  I think this needs to have a seafood restaurant right near its shoreline.  There actually were fish spawning in the river so these guys fit right in.
 
 
 
 
 
We headed into a convention center (never did get the name as we went in through a back door and went out via a skywalk) and this is what we saw on the Mezzanine level.
 
Most people that know me, know my love of pottery.  I could SO do this in my house.
 




 
These were well done but were so airy they about didn't show up.
 
 
I will let you make your own comments on these next two.  The second photo's medium is fiber....
 

 We walked a long hallway of lots of paintings andsketches, some glass pieces andother art forms and turned a corner to see this (below).  Yes, it is a wall of dogs.


 Seriously all dogs.
 
 
Have you ever heard of Zentangle?  This picture, below,  reminded me of it.  Never heard of it?  Try Google.
 
 
 This painting was so cool I could barely stand it.  And it was huge! Lifesize huge!  Crazy in a cool sort of way.
 
 
A lady made of denim...though I think it has a bit of a zombie effect to it, don't you?
 
 
A shirt made of rivets.  bet that's cold in the winter; specially in the snow belt where Grand Rapis sits.
 
 
We set back across the bridge and were welcomed to the other side by this guy. Thank heavens they put the his name on there.  I am sure I would have confused him for a different Sea Worm.
 
 
 
 
 This upright part was about 3 - 4 feet tall.
Moving on toward the Gerald Ford Museum we were greeted by this flock.  Clearly they are some sort of metal and they need super-duty support.
 
 

 
It is good to know that the 60s are not dead.  This exhibit was in the shape of a geo-dome and all the panels inside related to something I am unfamiliar with, though I did find it sort of, "Whoa, dude.  Far out!"
 

 
There were a few more sides to this structure and on the way out we noticed that it is all joined together like K'nex or Tinker toys.  Whoa, dude!  That IS far out!
 
 
 
 
 
The above description explains the next two photos.
 
 
This next one is sort of unusual.  It was created by a woman from Venezuela.  She had words written in rope and embedded in the lawn.  After you listened she gave to a tin charm to add to a structure dubbed as the Center Tree.  It had something to do with a ceremony and the dress worn by the women of the tribe.  Sorry I can't tell you more.  I started drifting off after a while.  My thought is that if you have to talk for a half hour to get people to "get" your art, maybe you better rethink it.  Just sayin'.

 
 

I am going to end this part on this picture.  These pups were so cute and I was taking a picture of Kim on my phone to send to a friend [who is a lover of dogs] and a gentleman and his wife asked if they could take a picture of the two of us with the dogs.  hey, why not?  So we did. 
 
We are a little over halfway through the day at this point.  I imagine that you are bleary eyed and verging on boredom.  Funny thing is, I haven't put ALL pictures of the day on here.  I will let you mull the enormousness of this event until I am back with Day 2 Part 3.  I can tell you this much - the next part has one of the biggest  dimensional realistic pieces I have ever seen.  
Catch you later! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment