Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Food adventure 1.

Have you ever eaten something that just is so delicious at the moment you are eating it that you could just cram all of it into your mouth all at once?  I had one of those the other night.

I had a gyro at this little Greek place that my husband and I have been going to for years.  It's not the kind of place in which either of us would want to eat from weekly or even monthly, but it is one of those places we both enjoy and are quite happy that it has remained good for many years.  It revamped it's exterior recently, but the food is the same delicious stuff that keeps us coming back - and ususally for the same thing:  gyros and fries.

They have these little skinny fries at this place that are SO good when they are fresh out of the fryer.  They are crisp on the outside but soft on the inside...and they are skinny!  They salt them just right and serve healthy portions in those little paper "boats". 

A good portion of the fries must be eaten first because once they are cool, they just aren't as good.  For me, since I am in full blown "go mode" on this food to start with, I go all out and toss on more salt at the table and then proceed to munch away.  After a few bites I like to dip them in the little tub of extra sauce I got that (which I shall not name here because I haven't a clue how to spell it) they use on the gyros. It's salty, slightly crisp, creamy and hot!  A little bit of heaven right off the boat (get it?).

Then it's on to the wrap.  The meat is warm, which melts the sauce a little, the onions have some seasoning on them and are super thin but plentiful, and the tomato is cool and smooth.  Encompassing this little number is a pita bread that cannot be found in any store.  Believe me. I've looked, hunted, scavenged, and driven to the ends of the earth, it seems, all to come up empty handed.  The wrap is soft and slighty chewy.  It holds all of the contents without ever tearing or ripping no matter how much you roll, sauce, reroll and grasp it.  You bite it, it seperates with the clench of your teeth - it doesn't crumble or shred or pull into a long piece of what's-with-this-length-of-food-hanging-off-my-lip? number.

And it's at this point where I have to really control myself not to just cram large hunky bites into my mouth because I want to be consumed by it, not it by me! I remind myself to slow down, savor the flavors and textures. Chew.  Breathe.  Enjoy.

Sitting across the table from me, my husband has no idea what kind of battle is raging between my brain and my mouth. (Though I am sure he would be pleased to know it is one of eating, not speaking.)  His only indicator is at the end of the meal - where my little fry boat is empty, the gyro wrapper is crumpled into a ball and he still has food left in front of him. No doubt the smile on my face is one of satisfaction and content.  I don't know what his smile is all about...that I ate more than he did? ... that I am an snoid?  ...that he finds my lust for food I crave ridiciulous?  Who knows?  (And I don't care, really; he's smiling at me!  That's good enough for me!!)  I do know that he knows I am happy with this meal.  'Nuf said.

I love food.  While I like most things, there are a few that I draw the line at, wrinkle up my nose about, wave away.  Then there are things that you had better get out of my way if I know that I'm going to get to eat it and you are between me and IT.  Move or be moved!  This night it was the gyro.  Once I recover from it (I believe I am still full), a new craving will arise and I will be off on another food adventure. Oh, how I love food!  I am sure you will join me for that one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment